- Though I am a die-hard heavy metal and prog rock fan, I confess to thoroughly enjoying the song "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys. I have tried my best NOT to like it, yet I find myself singing along with it every single goddamned time I hear it, most recently this afternoon.
- While I'm on the subject of songs I'm embarrassed to like, I also confess that I like "Love Yourself" by Justin Bieber. Fuck me, but that's a clever song. I hate myself for liking it.
- Even though the number of followers I have doesn't impact my self-worth, I really do want more followers on Twitter and more readers here.
- I want to meet Andy Wakefield, ostensibly so I can not-so-politely tell him of the irreparable harm he has done to public health, but actually so I can punch him in his stupid fucking lying face.
- I hate teaching medical students.
- I hate training new surgeons even more.
- I plan on retiring from clinical practice in less than 10 years.
- I enjoy riling idiots on Twitter and proving them wrong.
- I like challenging the Call Gods sometimes and seeing what kind of shitstorm they bring me in retaliation.
- I speak to my drunk patients in the same manner I speak to my children.
- I hate spam comments here almost as much as spam phone calls at home, and I wish I could round up all the spammers, put them in a small office building, and make them all call and email each other nonstop until they all die.
- There have been a few times on call when I wish I could have had a beer.
- I drive home drowsy after call regularly. I know it's fairly stupid, though I haven't come anywhere close to falling asleep at the wheel in about 15 years.
- I am a big Star Wars fan, and I loved "The Last Jedi". It's probably my favourite Star Wars movie. I'm sure this will anger many die-hard Star Wars fans, so COME AT ME.
- I got an email from a publisher about potentially publishing a book.
- I come dangerously close to hitting a patient at least once a month.
- Despite my palate maturing as I've aged, I still cannot bring myself to eat a mushroom. Seriously, fuck mushrooms.
Tuesday, 9 January 2018
I know I risk angering the Call Gods by saying this, but my trauma game has been rather slow lately. I've had very few blog-worthy stories of late, and the last thing I want to do is post a "Oops, no story this week" filler bullshit. So instead I've decided to continue a tradition from January 2015, or at least what I intended to become a tradition but instead got lost amongst the drunken idiot stories: CONFESSIONS.
Yes, I believe the best way to start a new year is not by making yet another resolution that you know will be broken by January 2 (no, you will NOT go to the gym every single day), but rather by confessing sins and starting the year clean.
So here goes. The Official DocBastard Annual Confessional continues.
I think that's about enough for one year. I'll be back with more confessions in 2019 unless that book deal comes through.
Feel free to add your own confessions down below.
I'll start this post by answering a few questions that may or may not be burning in your mind: No, I'm not dead. No, I didn't g...
EDIT NOVEMBER 1 2017: GINGER'S LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED TO 142 PAPERS. I HAVE ADDED ALL THE NEW ONES IN ORDER. NEW PAPERS ARE PREFACED BY *...
How many true surprises are there in life? This was the question I asked Mrs. Bastard when she was pregnant with our first child and wanted ...
EDIT: New and improved version, now with 83 of your favourite myths. Ooooooh boy. I have no idea what kind of rabbit hole I'm entering...